Jooble-us.com Link

Monday, May 9, 2016

From Partnership Breakup to Project Breakout: The Art of Letting Go, Learning & Relaunching – Part I

We seemed to both recognize the inevitable at the same time; perhaps we had been simultaneously mulling our options…and each came to a similar conclusion.  Maybe this explained our first emotionally charged fight just the week before.  I had initiated the encounter after E gave what seemed a lukewarm assessment of our performance.  I thought things went pretty well; I had been into it.  So her comment evoked a defensive edginess.  And then when I heard her say what we could and could not do in future shows, while sitting quietly I started smoldering:  my autonomy, my freedom of expression was under attack…I was not holding back.  Well, I wasn’t a verbal volcano, but I stated my fear.

Okay, I didn’t state my fear, I went straight to anger, basically confronting her one-sided attempt to determine the direction of our Radio Podcast.  E countered saying that’s my default position:  repeatedly and incorrectly assuming that she is trying to control the show.  Related issues were hurled that we both ducked and dodged…In hindsight, the only thing clear was our not being prepared to address candidly the bottom-line.  Anyway, it really doesn’t pay to argue the points of contention any further.  But what is significant, beginning that evening at home and for the next couple of days, I was agitated, not being able to drop our charged encounter:  had I been too aggressive?  I was aware of not pulling very hard on my tone and volume reins.  And then my real default issue arose:  a historical fear of abandonment, that is, had I pushed E to the point where she would walk away from our show?  Once again, had my wounded intensity distorted a sense of impulsive or aggressive “necessity”?  Had I caused another woman to bail on me?  (It’s been a little over a year since my ex ended our ten-year partnership.  So in my sensitive mind, was E adding insult to injury?  Then again, I too had run away from a number of potentially intimate relationships in my time…but that’s another story.)

Alas, I began to consider a familiar and neurotic – “codependent” – coping strategy:  sending an apologetic note, one that, in all honesty, would have been mostly disingenuous as well as self-defeating.  Grasping for reassurance would only have appeased the rumbling, gnawing in the stomach of the frightened little boy still trapped inside.  Wisely, I understood needing to sit with my separation angst, to confront my “worst case, being left scenario fears,” which, truth be told, were often exaggerated.  So I sent a perfunctory text:  “Are we talking Mon am to plan the upcoming show’s agenda?”

The Calm before the Brainstorm

Not surprisingly, when finally getting together, we played down the charged encounter; and the next evening even had a successful podcast.  We conversed long distance on the phone (I was in NYC), instead of our usual war room – on opposite sides of E’s kitchen table.  But the die was cast…and a creative cast it was!

Once again, around the planning agenda table, E cautiously let out a trial balloon which, instead of shooting down, or insinuating was full of hot air, I gently grasped.  I should note that E is pretty EI & I (Emotionally Intelligent & Intuitive; she listens well and asks good questions) though, also like me, sometimes hard-headed.  Anyway, she began to note some of our difficulties:  too similar in perspective, temperament, and background (she’s a Certified Coach, with a marketing background; I’m a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with the Stress Doc ™ moniker).  “We just didn’t interactively click.”  Perhaps a nice way of saying we too often banged heads if not egos.  And, of course, the bottom-line:  the show never generated the numbers.

A couple of questions to ponder:  having almost always been the Lone Ranger in the performance arena, is co-hosting outside my sweet spot?  And to what extent was synaptic firing and jumping impeded by our significant generational divide?  Our sparring only sparingly morphed into successful jazz riffs.  (I mostly agreed with her latter assessment, less so with the former.)  But I liked her counter.

Previously, we had shifted the title-focus of the show from “Partnerships that Drive Performance” to “Human Connection in a High Tech World.”  This was motivated partly by my upcoming book, Preserving Human Touch in a High Tech World.  Another factor was E’s experience providing communication coaching with often empathically-challenged engineers and other technophiles.  In our succinct post-mortem, E noted we seemed to have differing goals:  she to build her coaching practice, me to increase general visibility.  In truth, in my mind, the entire podcast experience had been framed as an exploratory learning of a new social medium.  I also recognized the opportunity to evolve relationship skills with a “sharp and savvy” (in all senses of the phrase) female colleague.  Again, not a small undertaking for one who had mostly traveled down a solo professional pathway.

The Podcast Pivot

As it turned out, E wasn’t abandoning ship, just proposing a new conceptual co-captain for the podcast:  she suggested that her good friend, D, a computer scientist and academic by training, should share the pod wheel.  Like E, a thirty-something, I had met D, and appreciated his thoughtful, soft-spoken manner.   And in truth, there was the potential for a sharper dialectic:  the Stress Doc as Human Touch representative with D articulating the High Tech position.  And E could still play a commentator-consultant-conceptual bridge role.  In addition, E and I agreed that co-leading live workshops might be our stronger partnership path.

And D hit a home run in his first formal offering:  a suggested program objective-synopsis:
I'm envisioning a show in which we highlight current technology-related topics that have some significant social relevance.  These topics would ideally have some element of controversy that would keep listeners engaged and thinking.

I love the idea of posing difficult questions to the group and unpacking them on air, each of us giving our own unique perspective on the issue.  (Or better yet, we could just come up with tough moral/ethical questions that try to catch E off guard. lol)

I see M as providing us with expert analysis of the underlying psychological concepts at play as well as an important perspective on technology and the current generational gap.  E might comment on how the topic represents a success or failure from a communications standpoint.  This might also afford her the opportunity to vent her frustrations over trying to express the value of communication coaching to technical people. lol  And finally, I could interject any relevant details from a computer science perspective.  (D previously assured me despite his natural introversion, he definitely speaks up on subjects of which he is knowledgeable and passionate.)

There is certainly no shortage of material discussing whether technology is making society advance or regress.  [Being that half empty/half full kind of guy, I will amend to read, “advance and regress.”]  And “off the top of (his) head,” D listed several articles and video clips for future programming.

Letting Go to Letting Grow

So, from the ashes of contention and dissolution, one new and one reconfigured Phoenix duos are rising.  The iconic artist, Pablo Picasso’s, pithy observation once again finds illumination:  Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction!  And now I see the motivational link to the words of another iconic artist.  As Nobel Prize-winning author, Albert Camus, noted:  Once we have accepted the fact of loss, we understand that the loved one [or loved role-relation] obstructed a whole corner of the possible, pure now as a sky washed by rain.  Destruction or dissolution with its concomitant period of confusion, anger, and/or mourning is needed to release our grasp of what has been for exploring and realizing new possibilities – to reach out for what may be.

To E’s credit, she did not “rebuff and run.”  To both our credits, we had done some emotional processing, at least enough to:  a) appreciate what had been achieved, b) recognize that something was missing, and c) to make room for a generative “letting go.”  She turned our former emotionally charged space into a new conceptual-performance “corner of the possible.”  And for me, the podcast experience became food for reflection.  In hindsight, what had I learned about myself, our “task and touch” relationship, and the process of dissolving and reconfiguring a partnership?  In Part II, “Transforming a Maxed Out Working Relationship into New Possibilities and Pathways: Top Ten”:

Until then…Practice Safe Stress!


Mark Gorkin, MSW, LICSW, "The Stress Doc" ™, a nationally acclaimed speaker, writer, and "Psychohumorist" ™, is a founding partner and Stress Resilience and Trauma Debriefing Consultant for the Nepali Diaspora Behavioral Health & Wellness Initiative.  A former Stress and Violence Prevention Consultant for the US Postal Service, he has led numerous Pre-Deployment Stress Resilience-Humor-Team Building Retreats for the US Army.  The Doc is the author of Practice Safe Stress, The Four Faces of Anger, and Preserving Human Touch in a High Tech World.  Mark’s award-winning, USA Today Online "HotSite"www.stressdoc.com – was called a "workplace resource" by National Public Radio (NPR).  For more info, email:  stressdoc@aol.com.

No comments: